Sunday, April 24, 2011

I guess I'll keep this here until my actual blog starts updating

Some things-

I am not a theologian. I don't know anything about theology. I am an aspiring historian, which I guess one would say is all it takes to be an actual historian. I enjoy learning about history.

I am a deist, in the tradition of Thomas Jefferson. He believes in the concept of a "clockwork king," a God who sets the rules of the universe but doesn't interfere in everyday life. I like this idea.

I don't think that any organized religion could possibly explain the concept of what a God could possibly be. A being that could create an entire freaking universe has got to be pretty incomprehensible to mortal man, you know?

I had a conversation with my friend Andrew a couple weeks back. He's atheist, and I'm not. I'm formerly Christian. He asked me what it would take for me to become Christian again.

I said, "This is going to sound kind of dumb, but I think it would take me accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. But that's a really big jump. I don't think I can do that."

He argued that simply believing in a supernatural creator at all was a really big leap. I had mentioned that life had been created when there was protein and carbon, and some sort of electricity had sent it all to working (or something like that, I read the article like eight years ago); why couldn't it be electricity from God's hand, or something? But he thought that was discounting both the miracle of Science, and working from a perspective of God existing, starting from a presumption and finding evidence that fit the presumption.

I really can't answer that. It's something to ponder, on my walk. What is God? Can I even imagine it? The only way to find out is to read up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment